Pregnancy and childbirth is usually an exciting and transformative time in a woman’s life but it can also be a very challenging time.
It’s obvious you’re going through physical changes every day but subtle shifts in energy, vitality and emotions are also taking place. As you prepare for a new chapter in your life, the whole experience has the potential to throw us off balance.
Yoga offers many tools and techniques, which when applied sensitively and appropriately, can ensure a happier, healthier and more comfortable pregnancy.
Prana Mama Yoga’s classes offer a mix of dynamic yoga postures with relaxing more restorative ones, meditation and breathing exercises. We also include discussion and information on pregnancy and yoga related topics in the class.
Classes take place in small groups, in a warm and friendly environment and often encourage a special bond between the women who attend.
More specifically Prana Mama Yoga aims to help you:
- Build strength, improve posture and maintain mobility.
- Alleviate general discomfort and niggles that often go hand-in-hand with pregnancy. Such as fidgety legs, insomnia, sickness, swelling and blocked sinuses.
- Learn breathing, visualisation and meditation techniques which help to relax the mind and body.
- Apply these techniques during labour and childbirth, whether it be a natural birth, C-section or induction to help make the experience a positive one for mum and baby.
- Position baby optimally for an easier labour and birth.
- Feel empowered to manage your upcoming delivery and new-motherhood in a way that’s right for you and your baby.
- Strengthen your connection with your baby.
- Form friendships with other pregnant women. This can be valuable as you embark on new-motherhood together. It can also help prevent and/or reduce the possibility and severity of perinatal depression. Friendships made in pregnancy often last a lifetime.
Classes are suitable for pregnant women from 12-14 weeks until full term. Complete beginners or those who have practised yoga for years are most welcome.
Overall we hope you leave class feeling supported, energised yet relaxed.