From the moment your baby is born he/she is going through the most intense growth period in human life. Baby Yoga can help your baby’s development into rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, walking and even communicating through loving interaction and fun.
While supporting your baby you’re also attuning yourself to his/her needs and learning how to calm or stimulate them appropriately with a sense of security and wellbeing. All babies respond positively to movement and touch together and no prior experience is necessary.
While Prana Mama Yoga’s Postnatal classes include babies throughout, the Baby Yoga classes primarily focus on your baby. They include massage, holds, stretching, singing and rhymes, game playing and relaxation. These activities help baby’s brain to grow lots of happy neutron networks. Postnatal yoga is also included to ensure that you get the opportunity to stretch, breath and relax too.
More specifically classes aim to help you and your baby:
- Stretch and tone the skeletal muscles which encourages symmetry in standing, sitting and walking (5 mins of Baby Yoga can help counteract the effects of time spent in car seats and other forms of baby seats.
- Improve posture so that joints function well.
- Stimulate vital organs – heart, lungs, digestive and nervous systems.
- Express love which helps baby be physically and emotionally confident, as well as feel secure and supported.
- Relax together.
- Make friends and share experiences, which is so important.
Babies can begin Baby Yoga from eight weeks. Please ensure that you and your baby have had your six-week postpartum check-up and you have the go-ahead to resume exercise from your health visitor, GP or consultant. Complete beginners or those who have practised yoga for years are most welcome.
Click here for class schedules, fees and booking.